Friday, June 29, 2018

DOWNLOAD Football Manager 16 Tactic Counter attacking 4 4 2 STING Atletico and Leicester Inspired

DOWNLOAD Football Manager 16 Tactic Counter attacking 4 4 2 STING Atletico and Leicester Inspired


The defensive structure of Atleti is very alluring
During the last couple of seasons, I have been extremely fascinated by Simeone and his Atleti side. So much that I may call myself an Atleti fan right now. In my opinion, they play the game just how it is supposed to be, defending well and attacking on the counter. So beautiful, effective and most importantly simple. Of course the Leicester fairy-tale fuelled by a similar counterattacking system made me love it even more, and I took on the quest to replicate it on Football Manager.


Basics of an Atletico (or any) counterattack:


1. Defensive solidity - Defenders are required to know their duties exactly and not be dragged out of position. They are required to maintain a (very) deep and compact shape to invite play and crosses from wide areas

2. Quick decisions - Players tasked with transition are supposed to take the decision quickly: Counter or not?

3. Pace and Skill - Get past the defenders quickly, with decision making: Pass or Dribble?

4. Good crossing

5. Support off the ball while the counter is on

The Tactic

With that in mind, I went on to build my 4-4-2 shape with the roles as follows.

The only PIs are for the CBs - Tackle Harder. I dont want any chances when the ball arrives in the box. The reasoning behind the roles are as follows, along with the players from my Villa save in my SAF challenge:

GK: Goalkeeper-Defend: Normal GK nothing fancy. Just must be strong and powerful in the air and with good one on ones. (Timo Horn + Brad Guzan)


CBs: Limited Defenders-Cover: My Huth-Morgan/Godin-Miranda pair. I want them to just kick the ball away. Both on cover to stop them from closing anyone. Must be as strong and big as possible (Mammana + Huth + Richards + Joe Gomez)

FBs: Fullback-Support: Normal fullbacks, but with more emphasis on defensive abilities (Jose Enrique + Peruzzi + Richards + Joe Gomez + Marc Muniesa)

MR/ML: Wide Mids-Support: These guys are the ones who will shuttle the ball and support the one on the ball. Must be hardworking, quick and skillful. (Adama Traore + Zivkovic + Patrick Roberts + Sheyi Ojo + Jack Grealish)

MCR: Box to box: The dynamo. Hell take the ball forward, support the counter attack and take defensive positioning. An all rounded player. (Kace + Thiago Maia + Lucas Romero)

MCL: Deep-lying playmaker-Defend: Our holding player and tasked to launch the counters from deep. Gerrard would be perfect for this role. (Gueye + Kace + Maia + Sanchez)

Strikers: DLF+DF-Support: I want them to be deep to intercept balls and provide threats to the midfielders. Ideally, they should both be "complete" forwards. (Origi + Calleri + Ayew + Agbonlahor + Hepburn-Murphy)

The lack of any attack roles are normal. I dont want any aggressive/adventurous play from anyone, plus the support roles make better off the ball runs in my opinion.

The real art comes in the OIs and the TIs. I want the team to sit very deep, compact, and play direct fast through balls to the flanks to hit on the counter. Also Id want the team to mark and tackle anyone on the middle to force their play to the flanks:


Tactic results and action:



This is during my last game vs Palace which we drew 1-1. This move resulted from the ball being cutout during their build up, and we manage to get a CCC before they even knew it! This move is a regular sight every match.

I began using the full version of the tactic at the Spurs game and we went to concede 3 goals only in 6 games.





Download from here.

visit link download