Sunday, July 8, 2018
3D Printed Signal Pictures
3D Printed Signal Pictures
I have received a comment about the difficulty of seeing the signals on the very light coloured computer rendition of the signals on my Shapeways shop. Unfortunately I have no control over this as it is part of the Shapeways system. Also there is no zoom which is annoying.
Here are a couple of photos of a distant signal in its raw as received state. Sorry but this is the best I have been able to do, it is very hard to photograph a white object.
![]() |
| Distant Signal Side View |
![]() |
| Distant Signal Front View |
There is a spare counterweight lever(s) printed on the base of all signals, I left them there from my pilot model just in case the Frosted Ultra Detail ones were fragile but so far they seem to work fine.
Here is a picture of the details parts without the handling protection enclosing framework. The material shows as being clear but it has yet to be rinsed in some acetone to remove a light oil that is used by Shapeways to remove some waxy supporting material from the printing process. Once rinsed in acetone the material goes whitish.
![]() |
| Signal Detail Parts |
?
![]() |
| Early Version Bracket Signal |
Here is a picture showing a two arm outer home and distant signal and two Tam Valley servo motors mounted underneath the baseboard. I like the Tam Valley Singlet servos as they are relatively cheap, include a DCC accessory decoder on the control board, have an auto adjusting feature for the throw and are easy to install.
![]() |
| Two Servo Motors Driving Two Signal Arms |
And another video showing the down loop starter at Wollar, yes I know some like to call it an inner home or some such.... ;-)
Til next time.




