Thursday, August 30, 2018

Prototype correctness or artistic effect

Prototype correctness or artistic effect


I have an interesting issue on my Bylong layout involving the placement of the NSWGR trackside line poles.

Now, on the prototype the line poles are placed on the left hand side of the line when leaving Sydney however I have placed them on either side of the line due to space constraints and sometimes because they look better when placed on the wrong side of the track. This has been brought to my attention several times but I have resisted correcting their placement.

Sometimes the poles are placed so that they do not throw a shadow on the backscene and this can put them on the wrong side but then there are other places where I have purposely placed them incorrectly.

I have to say that I like to see the trains in the scenery and not running in front of it and this extends to the line poles if it suits the scene.

I havent done a search of photos to determine if the line poles were sometimes located on the right hand side of the track when leaving Sydney so I dont know if this ever happened. It can be a problem when viewing photos to know if a train is an UP or DOWN train which of course would be necessary to see which side of the track the line poles are located.

Well I like the layout as it is so I probably wont change anything.

Here are two videos, the first shows the poles on the wrong side and the second on the correct side.